Also at Ccatán is two dogs named Toby and Gitaña. Toby is my little Peruvian Ruby. He is white and fluffy but has really matted dirty fur. He is such a sweetheart though and sometimes goes a little taz with Gitaña. I took a video, and I´ll see if I´ll be able to post it on the blog.
The school that Amy, Grace, and I started working at is pretty intense. There are about 150 kids in the school and it´s the only public school in the area so quite a few of the kids seem to have problems. I worked in a first grade class these past 2 days and the teacher didn´t have anything planned so I pretty much took over. I just drew pictures for them and they colored them. He also doesn´t discipline them at all. A couple of boys will randomly hit girls or take their things and the teacher doesn´t do anything about it! It was pretty exhausting and I was only there for 2 or 3 hours. I went into a 5th grade classroom later though and all the kids were way better mannered. And all the kids really love us. They just run up to us and hold our hands and stuff. They always shout Mira! Gringitas! which means Look! White people! Then the rest of the kids come running.
We also work at an orphanage in Wayabamba that is about 20 minutes bussing and 20 minutes more walking. The orphanage was not expecting us and they were really hesitant to let us in. But once Miguel (our host dad) told the director the organization we were from and how we were there to work as volunteers but not for money, they couldn´t stop thanking us for coming and being there. The kids at the orphanage have a lot more self discipline and control than the kids at the school. I was trying to help these two 13 year old girls with their math and it was such a struggle because I can´t speak Spanish very well. They were subtracting large numbers but I didn´t know words like borrow or take away or anything. And the last part of their homework were word problems and that just wasn´t happening. But there is a guy here from












Hi Molly,
ReplyDeleteRuby now has proof you are cheating on her with other dogs! She wants to recommend her groomer to your new Peruvian Ruby. A good stylist can work wonders. Glad to see you are learning so much. Let us all know how we can donate to help the orphans you are working with. Love, Mom
The best way is to put money in my account. Things are really cheap down here and I can just take money out of ATM´s to buy stuff for the kids. Today we bought like 30 pairs of underwear for $20 American. They need a lot of personal hygiene products. Some of the kids only have 1 pair of clothes that they wash once a week. Luckily they all have school supplies though. American money goes a long way here.
ReplyDeleteThose dogs are so cute! So are the kids. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAre you sure that's a dog? Looks like a fuzzy nutria.
ReplyDelete