Monday, July 5, 2010

Arrival

So I got into Cusco, Peru early in the morning yesterday. The 18 hour flights with layovers wasn´t as bad as I thought it would be. Amy, Grace, and I are staying in Cusco for most of this week. I think we will be heading to Urubamba on Friday most likely. Amy and I were sent off to our homestay first thing in the morning. The house is really nice, our host mom is really sweet, and I will probably post some pictures once I take them. She has been giving us lots of Cuca tea, which apparently helps with altitude sickness. I definitely feel our of breath after walking up stairs and sometimes light headed, but I think the tea is helping. There are several other people staying in the 3 story house from Canada, Mississippi, Missouri, and Wisconsin, who are also pretty cool. We walked around our neighborhood somewhat and there are street dogs everywhere! They look really happy and nice, but I´ve been careful not to touch them or draw any attention. There is a little tan fluffy one near the house thats my little Peruvian Ruby. I´ll post some pictures of her later as well.

We had the orientation today for our projects. It sounds like Amy, Grace, and I will be the only people heading to Urubamba. We will be working at their local school starting next week teaching the kids games and art at first since we can´t speak Spanish very well yet. We can also go to the orphanage to teach them as well as helping do random chores. Our projects will only run for a few hours a day, and then we will have lots of time to explore the city. They also offer a four-week TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) Certification program in Cusco that I may want to do with Grace later on since we will be here for 3 months.

Hope all´s well in the US!

6 comments:

  1. You had better find a Peruvian Rocco or he's going to be jealous that he doesn't get a twin, too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you have a great adventure ahead of you. Ruby is sleeping with one of your t-shirts to help with her detox. Your brothers all say that they miss you a lot and their summer is ruined without you here. I know Anna also did a program where she learned to teach ESL. Her boyfriend Ciro's family owns a school that does that in Argentina. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great fun to hear from you in Peru. Thanks for sharing. It's going to be a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops! HoopsMom is me -- your Aunt Glenna. Morgan took off to Australia last night and the plane is landed. I hope to hear from her soon so I know she is safe. You and she are at very close to the same latitude, but on different continents. That's a completely useless bit of information, but somehow a fun fact. I'm just so proud of you both for seeking out these great experiences. You mom probably told you that you are following in Aunt Fanny's footsteps. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, miss Molly, I already commented once, and to Morgie too, but I am saying again that I am living vicariously through the posts of my two traveling nieces and their world wide adventures. I love both of you so very much and I am so proud of you both. Have fun, enjoy your life in another world and remember to take lots and lots of pictures!!! love, AE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Molly, What an adventure you are having! I love the pictures and the stories of all that you are doing. I am so proud of you and so happy that you are having this wonderful experience!! Your mom said that you need help with the orphans for shoes and clothes, etc. Please send me an address where I can send an envelope with something to support your efforts. What will you be doing with your little Peruvian Ruby? Hopefully you can find someone to keep her when you leave. Have fun and keep the stories and the pictures coming and above all please stay safe - you know how much moms and aunties worry! Love you so much Molly...from your Auntie Ho :-)

    ReplyDelete